Friday, April 03, 2009

Hot Lips Houlihan

Many things about being an adult are not easy: The responsibility. The having to pay for everything. The needing to ask your kid (indignantly) "Where.are.your.parents?" when she misbehaves in public...

The worst, though, is when someone from your (perhaps somewhat colorful) youth materializes in some form in the now quasi-reasonable life you have created for yourself.

Just yesterday, an old friend e-mailed and asked if I knew some guy (Let's call him "Ben"...mainly because that's his name) who went to JMU at the same time I did. Apparently, he and his wife are now neighbors of our old friends and the four of them all went out to dinner recently (well isn't that cozy?).

And of course I knew Ben -- he was totally part of the lucky 50%. (To my credit, the school was a lot smaller then.)

It really is amazing I was able to maintain my 1.4 GPA, what with all the extra-curriculars...

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah, my 50% at USF are still lurking out there with the occasional email and whatnot. Fun time, fun times.

Brutalism said...

Egad. Your past always does come back, doesn't it? Glad to know I'm not alone.