Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I will never look at the produce section the same way again

While in the midst of a long overdue hangout session with two very funny friends this weekend, one of these friends regaled us with tales from a Steampunk convention he had recently attended - a meeting that shared convention space with an alternative lifestyle group.      

(Yes, it is rather obvious how I make choices about the people with whom I opt to spend my time.)

We were eating lunch while we had this discussion and I noticed that he passed on one of the food items offered because it contained avocado -- claiming that he is allergic. I had never heard of anyone being allergic to avocado, so I asked, "really?" And he said, "Yup. Avocado and latex both."

To which I, of course, replied, "Well then, you must have missed out on a lot of the networking opportunities at the alternative lifestyle convention."

Not missing a beat, he said, "Oh...there were plenty of other rooms that featured tropical fruit/rubber product combinations."

And I inquired, "Like the mango neoprene room?"

And now I have a great suggestion if anyone I know becomes a drag queen and needs the perfect stage name.

Mango Neoprene's BFF,
Brutalism

3 comments:

Christian at Point Counter-Point Point Point said...

I'm actually allergic to avocados too. Although I'm not 100% sure allergic is the right term. As a kid I could eat them but in my late twenties I started to notice I would get really sick to my stomach if I ate any. That turned into even just having a tiny but would make me sick to my stomach. Rather quickly too. So I avoided eating them for years with a vengeance. But recently I have noticed that I can eat a tiny amount with no problem but I haven't attempted more.

Also FYI, being allergic to avocados won't get you into the special Olympics. Trust me.

David Oliver said...

At long last, a reward for blog surfing - very entertaining. Truthfully, not especially this one but some of your others. Decided to post here since this is the most recent.

Brutalism said...

Christian - Note to self: No guac at Oktoberfest (because I will continue to invite you)

David - Thank you so much. (And I agree...now I'm motivated to write some more.) Thanks for stopping by.