|..so they go with my husband's middle initial, but decide to|
take full advantage of the 20 character limit with my name...
|South Beach: land of awesome art deco architecture and the $20 cocktail.|
- We arrived in Miami during Gay pride weekend, which featured a high-heel race and parade grand marshal, Gloria Estefan. There were parties everywhere:
|It's D-I-L-I-D-O Beach Club. Get your mind out of the gutter.|
- The morning after we arrived, there was a photo shoot at our hotel pool featuring a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. It was for the French "Elle" magazine. (Which, I guess in France, they call, "Her" magazine.)
|Decor at our hotel. There was a whole bovine/ovine theme going on.|
Seems apropos for South Beach Miami.
- Also while we were there, we met up with our good friend, Amanda, who I have not seen in far too long even though we both live in the DC metro area. She's all "Oooh, I'm so cool, I'm working on a project in Kenya and flying all over the world" lately so we have not been able to connect. Thanks to the well-timed good fortune of her having a business trip in Miami (for "Sustainotopia" -- not making that up) at the same time as our vacation, we met up for a few insanely-priced cocktails...
|...and did our best impression of a Picasso painting.|
- One morning, the straight-from-a-Ralph-Lauren-ad Director of Daylife from our hotel offered an art deco walking tour of south beach. He claimed the focus was more on pop culture, so we figured it would be worth us stepping away from the pool and putting on actual clothes for part of a day. And it did not disappoint.
|Versace's mansion, which was part of the tour. We also saw a place where Justin Bieber|
was arrested. And where to shop if you are really, really, really, really, really rich.
- Our hotel also had a wine hour every night. Because it occurred during our late afternoon nap, we only made it to wine hour once during the week. And while we enjoyed it, our daughter was kind of bored sitting around with a bunch of adults and occupied herself by talking to Siri: