Monday, September 17, 2007

Not-So-Instant Karma's Gonna Get You

In my junior year of college, I spent a semester abroad in London. While we were over there, I met and fell in love with Tim (another JMU student who was part of our group). The catch? When we met, he was already dating a woman named Carolyn that he had been dating for a couple of years -- she was a few years older than us and had already graduated from college.

Tim and I dated while we were in London, but he was hesitant to commit to me and to break up with this woman until he could do it in person, when we were back in the states. So...it was a fun semester, but also tough because I wasn't sure he would break up with her when we got back home and I was SERIOUSLY.IN.LOVE.

He did break up with her a couple of weeks after we got back to the states, and Tim and I went on to date for six years (you read that right...SIX YEARS). We parted ways amicably and are both now happily married to others (in my case, another guy named Tim who is also 6'4", Catholic, and has dark brown hair and eyes (guess I have a "type").

Earlier this year, I found out that a mutual friend we socialize with pretty frequently is best friends with "Carolyn" -- I found this out when I was complaining about how hard it is to google ex-boyfriends when they have names like "Tim Baker" and "Rob Grant" (curse you ex-boyfriends with common names). This mutal friend said, "Tim Baker? The one who went to JMU?" and we discovered the connection.

Today, I went to this person's baby shower, and Carolyn had flown in from Texas to help celebrate. Comfortable.

No comments: