Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Johnny Pecker

Every so often, Avery will sing a song or mention a story that she has learned at school. She has a great memory and can recite things she's heard only a couple of times.

One character that she continues to mention is named "Johnny Pecker" (and yes, I, too, thought this was an odd choice of names for a children's character, but then figured it might be a chicken or something...)

When I asked her about "Johnny Pecker" she told me that it is in a book she reads at school. I did a google search on this (this has worked in the past to help me identify books she has mentioned) and came up with a couple of XX rated sites. I'm not kidding about that.

So, when I picked her up from school a couple of days ago, I said, "show me the book about Johnny Pecker." She walked over to the book shelf, looked at a few books, then pulled out a book about an ant. I leafed through the book and it was all about an ant named Bart going to work. There were no other characters in the book. I said to her, "this is not about Johnny Pecker...where is the Johnny Pecker book?" and she kept insisting the ant book WAS the Johnny Pecker book. I keep insisting that it was not. Finally, she took the book from me and pointed to the cover.

The author of the ant book? Bonny Becker.

Lessons here:

1) Never doubt her. Never. I've learned this lesson repeatedly.
2) Don't look up "Johnny Pecker" from the work computer.
3) Be thankful that I did not ask her teachers who "Johnny Pecker" was.

4 comments:

Dilettard07 said...

Well it is a good thing the collections of children's literature by Trudy Ferguson, Dotty Sanchez, and Gene Weingarten are not included in the library at Avery's school.

Brutalism said...

Trudy Ferguson -- it's a funny name.

Anonymous said...

Have you read Henny Penny recently? Bev got it out of the library for Sammy. One of Henny Penny's friends is named Cocky Locky. Kids authors are just perverts.

Brutalism said...

...and the ugly friend who is always tagging along to the bars with her...Cocky Blocky...

(I'll be here all week...thanks)