Thursday, March 04, 2010

Damn It, Janet

Many people think the of the DC area as somewhat stodgy and conservative.

I know I did when I first moved here in the 90s. A move I made to assert my independence and advance my career in one of the most exciting areas in the world because my boyfriend lived here.

This was a boyfriend I'd met while spending a semester abroad in London. Theatre was a big part of the experience during that semester so we saw many, many plays. We saw a ton of Shakespeare, got to experience Dame Judi Dench and Timothy Dalton acting in smaller productions, and, as a treat, got to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show on stage.

It was one of the more memorable performances for me because it involved a transvestite and a lot of people in their underpants. (It is these kinds of takeaways that explain why I am not a great playwright and instead write dirty jokes on my little blog.) It was also memorable because out of the entire audience, our group of 30 American students were the only people that did not dress up like the characters in the play or bring props to throw at designated times. There we were, wearing our college sweatshirts amid a crowd of Brad, Janet and Frank-N-Furter lookalikes with their stacks of toast and water guns. We probably should have just stood up and sung our national anthem swaddled in a giant U.S. flag while eating aersol cheese to further underline what a massive group of American tourists we were...though it probably would have just felt redundant. As great as the show was, we totally felt like Octomom at Planned Parenthood...completely out of place.

So you can imagine that when I moved to DC a year later and had the opportunity to again see Rocky Horror on stage with the same boyfriend and two other friends from our London group, we jumped at the chance to do it and do it right. We bought tickets to a ten o'clock Saturday night performance in the District and spent a few days coming up with just the right costumes and getting all of our props together.

We were very enthusiastic (...and very hott, though that really goes without saying):
And we were so delighted with ourselves that we spent a lot of time taking pictures and subsequently got to the theatre a little late. James (in glasses) had worn just tighty whities in the car, but right before we walked in, he decided that he would put on his pants until he was seated and the show started. As we made our way down the aisle to find our seats in the dimmed theatre, my eyes began to adjust and it slowly became apparent that I was surrounded by a sea of suit jackets and nice dresses.

You got it. In buttoned-up Washington, we were the only people who had dressed in costume. I have never been happier to be wearing a blazer in my entire life (a blazer that I immediately buttoned up to my neck). And I don't think James has ever even considered wearing only tighty whities to the theatre again. At least that's what he tells his legal clients...

We did not do the Time Warp again,
Brutalism

10 comments:

YinMetYang said...

LIPS!!!!

Brutalism said...

New Tim and I actually danced the time warp at our wedding. He was wearing my shoes at the time. Why I have not posted this yet is beyond me...

Moooooog35 said...

Kudos to the guy for actually having tighty whiteys that were somewhat still white instead of the usual splotchy off-white color with Rorscharch-like brown butterflies.

I may need to see a doctor.

Dilettard07 said...

Huh. I am sure it was because those were the "Interlude Years" when Sharon Pratt was mayor... Once Marion Barry made his triumphant return, all was right in DC for a few more years. I hear that the 1995 live performance at the Avalon Theater featured a crack pipe organ and some rather innovative bestiality. As a special treat, Hizzoner himself took the part of Eddie (except was in the back of a limo with hookers instead of on a motorcycle).

Brutalism said...

Yeah, Tard. Marion was good for the city. I would definitely not characterize it as stodgy and conservative anymore. Though still a little too political for my taste...

mbprehm said...

I remember that night and your embarrassment!

Brutalism said...

Yup, Marilyn -- that's your foyer in the picture. Oh. My. God. Do you believe how long ago that was?

Miss Spoken said...

I never pass on the chance to dress like a sweet transvestite. Especially for Easter.

lacochran said...

I used to dress and drive with friends from Baltimore to the Key Theater to see the film version and there were LOTS of people dressed scantily. Huh. Theater people--go figger.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, buzzkill!

I'm so glad you went in costume, though. It's a tradition, dammit!

(I LOVE RHPC, by the way. In fact, I'm wearing a bustier right now. You just can't see it under my big, shapeless, fuzzy brown robe. No, really.)

:-D Anna