Wednesday, September 01, 2010

*Tugs Imaginary Collar*

Last night, I was lying down with my daughter reading her the latest chapter in a book that we are gradually making our way through.

She would look at the words on the page and then turn her head and watch my mouth as I read out loud.

As I always do during these moments, I try to imagine what is going on in her almost five-year-old brain, figuring that she is recording this moment in her memory as I am, so  that she can reflect on it when she's older and remember fondly some of the things we did together, or remember that it was during our nightly "book time" that she developed her lifelong love of reading.

She continued this for a while...she'd look at the book, then at me, then at the book, then back at me...

Then she silently lifted the two ends of the drawstring on the hoodie I was wearing, stuck one in each of my nostrils, and turned back and faced the book, ready for me to continue the story.

13 comments:

Moooooog35 said...

Awww.

ADD is so cute sometimes.

VEG said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well that's what they're THERE for isn't it?

dilettante07 said...

Further confirmation that the child is not adopted.

Dilettard07 said...

I'm pretty sure that she is going to be the next Sarah Silverman.

Dazee Dreamer said...

now that is so freaking cute!!!

Amanda C said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Anonymous said...

It's obvious she was wondering when I was coming to visit again. Duh!

kath said...

so clearly your child

Anonymous said...

I didnt see that coming, but sounds so very typical.

JenBC said...

Smart girl. It's kind of like tuning a radio or tv. Strings in da nose provide better reception. She gets that. Among so many other things.

I too am wondering which wholesome experiences are making their way into their memory bins. And which are just static that we might treasure and they might be like, Huh? I don't remember that.

I have no doubt, of course, that she will continue to deepen her love of reading and reading with parents -- as well as the silly word play that it inspires.

dori said...

I love that kid. Don't we all wish we could do that at work the next time a colleague is droning on (not to say you were droning on!) about the Q4 targets - just casually get up from your seat at the conf room table and shove dry erase markers up their nostrils.

The Absurdist said...

What the hell were you doing wearing a hoodie? Was the Snuggie in the wash?

OneZenMom said...

*gigle-snort* Thanks. I so needed that confirmation that my kids are not alone in their pervasive weirdness.