Friday, June 27, 2008

The Order Of Things

Avery and I have a morning routine when I drop her off at school. I park, unbuckle her car seat, and she climbs into the front passenger seat of the car. She pulls the visor down and opens the mirror and puts on the pink lip gloss that I always carry in my purse for just this purpose.

I tell her she looks beautiful, then ask her if she wants to walk into school or if she wants me to carry her. (Mondays are usually carry days.)

This morning, we got to school a little bit late and her class was already outside on the playground. I went out with her. She held my hand to help her balance as she walked on the curb around the jungle gym. After a couple of laps, she found a tricycle and sat down on it. She looked up at me and said, "go to work, Mama" and gave me a kiss. I walked a couple of steps toward the door and she got off the tricycle and ran over and gave me a hug and said, "make sure my bunny and blankey are in my cubby for nap time." Then she went back to the tricycle and started to ride it.

I love that little piece of work.

No comments: