Sunday, February 08, 2009

Weekend Trip

Aves and I were alone this weekend. Canetto was in Las Vegas with some friends for a few days. (I asked him for one favor while he was out there...and that was to stop by Yves Saint Laurent and find my VERY FAVORITE SHOES OF ALL TIME (pictured below).
(I love Canetto for approximately eight million reasons. Included in those are that he once bought a Kelly Clarkson CD for me because I was too embarrassed to take it to the counter at Tower. He said, "Really? You care what the sixteen-year-old kid working at the Tower register thinks of your musical taste?" And I was forced to admit that I did.) Another reason is that he actually went to YSL today with a printout of the picture of these shoes to ask about them. The woman there informed him that they are last year's shoes (which Canetto conveyed to me via a great voice mail message about how "gauche" he was asking about "last year's shoes"). However, the woman did provide him with the names and numbers of several discount houses that may have the shoes. I have not yet given up!

I bought the book "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff and finished that in the wee overnight hours when I was not sleeping (because I simply do not sleep when Tim is out of town). I figure that when attempting to lull myself to sleep through reading, what better book than a father's account of his young son's descent into meth addiction? It's like the warm milk of memoirs, really.

Saturday, while I learned to play the didgeridoo with the Dilettantes, Avery spent the afternoon with (our neighbor and her former teacher) Esmat and Esmat's son at the park, then they made pizza. This morning, Avery and I had a play date with my friend, Amanda, and her daughter, Allison, at Clemyjontri (no, I have no idea how to pronounce it, either) park in McLean. We figured that as non-church-going heathens, we'd pretty much have the place to ourselves on this beautiful Sunday morning. Apparently, we give the inner northern Virginia burbs too much credit. We're all a bunch of Godless park-goers. The place was packed. And very fun. And served the purpose of wearing out the kiddos. We ended the play date with Happy Meals at McDonalds. Late this afternoon, while I was trying to take a nap, Aves leaned over, kissed my forehead, my nose and my cheek and said, "I love you, mommy, and I could hug you forever. Now go to sleep, Kathleen." Of course, I burst out laughing and never fell asleep (nor did she). This evening has been a long one...

UPDATE: THE SHOES are featured in the movie trailer for "Confessions of a Shopaholic" -- I happened to see that tonight on the TV at the gym. I've made some headway in tracking them down...still need to wait a couple of weeks for confirmation on whether they will be available.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time at the park with you two!!! Let's do it again soon!

P.S. - I love the shoes!

JenBC said...

...and thanks for the tip about Beautiful Boy, too. I was tempted to pick that up but now I don't have to. Your movie and book review service is worth the price of admission.

Can't believe you both didn't drift off into blissful sleep after that lovely kiss fest! Sounds like she should be tucking you in on a regular basis -- then she can work the remote, herself, right?