I'm surprised that adage has not caught on.
For years now, I have provided a bulleted list of the things I and my family have done during the year with a picture of our big, fat faces that serves as a holiday greeting for our friends and family. More importantly, it prevents me from having to write anything emotional or sentimental to people I care about. This year, I did not get my act together in time and the greeting never went out. So now I can share that with you, loyal readers, so I don't forget the year that was.
Brutalism's 2012 year in review:
- Started the year with a Redskin, a few too many cocktails and some police intervention (okay...so this year began like most other years...)
- Traveled to some world hot spots:
- Basye, VA (mud tubing that should have been snow tubing)
- Tunkhannock, PA (cousin's bridal shower).
- Dayton, OH (Erma Bombeck Humor Writer's Workshop with 7th grade BFF)
- New York City (cousin's wedding)
- Hot Springs, VA (because I like to bathe with lots of strangers)
- Niagara Falls (Canada side) and Rochester, NY (nephew's bar mitzvah)
- Rome, Florence and Venice Italy (because - awesome)
|My daughter's vision of Venice. That is the reflection
of a pigeon in the water, not a dead body as I originally thought.
If we were in Sicily, it would be a diferent story.
- Hershey, PA (Hershey Park) (because my only child is not over-indulged nearly enough)
- Virginia Beach, VA (visiting mom and childhood friends...and their butt plugs)
- Miami, FL (cousin's wedding)
|My mom and my Stepbrother dancing
at the wedding. No alcohol was served.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
- Las Vegas, NV (where better to spend a 7-year-old's birthday than Sin City?)
- New York City (weekend with my daughter and my mom to see the Rockettes and stay in a hotel that was way too hip for us)
- Charlotte, NC and Chattanooga, TN
- Took my daughter to the White House Easter Egg Roll. It was awesome. Just ask Tim Tebow:
- Learned of the dangers of flirting on the Long Island Railroad
- Did not float through the air with the greatest of ease, re-bloomed my orchid, sipped and painted, and (wo)manhandled some birds of prey with the Dilettantes.
- Went to parties and hosted parties -- all of which involved dressing in costume. Or my new game-changing copper sequined skirt. It's probably only a matter of time until I'm a furry.
- Started a second career as a humorist with two speaking engagements that raised money for local charities. One was a charity group that formed after a woman died of breast cancer at age 36. All of her friends rallied and formed a charity -- which is amazing. However, my introduction for that speaking engagement was done by a woman who launched into a heart wrenching, emotional narrative about the charity namesake's last days and what a great person she was. Then she and many audience members teared up, as most of them were close, personal friends.
And of course, my opening piece immediately following this introduction was a poop story:
- Enjoyed coaching and cheering on the Big Purple Balls:
- Stayed overnight at the National Zoo for Father’s Day
We're a very formal neighborhood.Hope your 2012 was eventful (in the good way) and Happy 2013!