Friday, September 14, 2007

Maybe My Foot Is My Oral Fixation

There's a notoriously creepy guy where I work. He has succeeded in making every single woman who works here uncomfortable with his too-long-and-inappropriate stares, with his hovering and with his general lecherousness. Complain, you say? Well, then his stepfather-who-holds-a-very-important-position-here might get a little upset.

Anyway, he's harmless...everyone just learns to avoid him after their first week of work.

This afternoon, I was sitting outside with my friend, Terri, to discuss some work issues. I had just brushed my teeth and was holding my toothbrush and toothpaste.

This character just happened to be coming back from lunch and passed us on his way inside the building, saying, "Hey -- this area is for smokers -- not for toothbrushes" and I replied, "guess I just have a different type of oral fixation."

As the words were coming out of my mouth, I regretted them. If there was ever a person on the face of the earth that you do not want to say "oral fixation" to -- it's this guy.

And besides, the number one thing I always tell people about communication? KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE.

No comments: