Monday, April 02, 2012

I Should Sue

On Saturday, while watching The Hunger Games in the theater, I was so startled by the appearance of the muttations that I tensed enough to strain a muscle in my calf.

I wish I was kidding.

Which was awesome timing as I was running the Cherry Blossom 10-miler on Sunday. I've avoided this race for a few years, as the last time I ran it, I ended up requiring knee surgery. (Though, to be fair, I ran it three weeks after running a half marathon at a pretty good pace.) And grimacing and curling up in a fetal position while crossing the finish line.

In order to prevent any injuries from happening again, I did a lot of preparation and training this time around. And by that, I mean I did approximately three training runs over the past few months.

I'm an idiot.

But guess what? I finished it. While I did not complete it in great time, I did complete it in a non-humiliating time. And I got to be there while my friend, Amanda, PR'd by THIRTEEN MINUTES.

Even better? When I get a massage tonight, I can blame the tight calves on the run and not on The Hunger Games.

I'm a finely tuned athlete,
Brutalism

3 comments:

Chantel said...

Finishing in non-humiliating time--what more can we ask for? (this applies to cooking, cleaning and sex too, right?)

dilettante07 said...

Any race that doesn't result in knee surgery is a victory. You're a machine.

And thanks for the props.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Good for you on the run.

And I had to peel myself off the ceiling of the theater when they arrived. Scared the bejezus out of me.