Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Timing Is Everything

My dad, Bruce Steenberg, was easily the funniest guy on the planet. He had a sense of timing that was unbeatable and a very quick wit. At our dinner table growing up, the importance of comic timing and being funny were stressed more than anything else (well, other than good grades -- so I was on restriction for most of my teen years).

After I had grown up and left home, I went with my parents to a birthday party for an older friend of theirs. The woman received a lot of what I would consider "old lady" gifts -- including a music box. It was loud in the party room and my dad had opened the music box and asked, "what song does it play?" (not able to hear over the party noise).

To which I replied, (pregnant pause for effect)...."I think it's Cop Killa by Ice-T"

Have you ever had one of those moments where your parents look at you as though all their years of sacrifice were sooooo worth it? That was mine.

No comments: