Thursday, April 03, 2008

Reading Is Fundamental

I still get MAD magazine. I subscribed impulsively last year, thinking I would still enjoy it as much as when I was a kid, especially since my humor has never progressed beyond about the third grade level.

It's not the same experience for me now. I don't even recognize half the television shows and movies that they parody. Plus, I just don't have the patience to look at all the tiny frames and illustrations that I used to love. And Spy vs. Spy -- could that BE any more violent?

Avery, on the other hand, loves it. Once she sees Alfred E. Neumann on the cover, she takes the magazine and keeps it with her other "stuff." Then, at bedtime when we ask her which books she wants to read, she inevitably says, "Alfred E. Neumann."

I wonder when this little science experiment we like to call "parenting" is gonna blow up in our faces?

No comments: