Friday, July 11, 2008

Relationship Shorthand

I'm totally on a Joan Didion and John Gregory Dunne kick right now. I rarely read non-fiction, but I just checked out collections of their work from the library and am thoroughly enjoying them. (I bought Joan Didion's book "The Year of Magical Thinking" last year and have read it twice -- once again recently -- and figured I should probably read more of her work.)

I also just read "Richistan" which is all about the "new rich" and how vastly different they are from old money in terms of sheer amount of wealth, their philosophy on giving, and also discusses how most new multi-millionaires and billionaires never truly retire or lead lives like the old money idle rich. A very interesting (and also non-fiction -- what the hell?) book that I checked out because of the title. (I also select wine based on the label.)

(The whole purpose of this post is to make me seem like I have more depth than my Denise-Richards-reality-show-watching-habits would indicate. It's also why I buy the New Yorker sometimes when I'm traveling. I'm a moron.)

Which reminds me...Canetto and I have a running script that we've had for years. If one of us ever says anything that sounds like it could be finished with, "much like your ex-girlfriend" or "much like your ex-boyfriend" we never hesitate to say it. And example was one time we were standing next to a creek and Tim said something about it, "being wider than it is deep" -- (then, according to our script, I pause and say) -- "much like your ex-girlfriend." We don't even find this funny anymore...we do it more out of some weird sense of obligation. One of many reasons why we can never divorce.

No comments: