Sunday, July 06, 2008

A Glorious Fourth

Friday we went to a cookout with new people. A former co-worker of mine invited us and we knew only her and one more person there. However, everyone was so cool and so friendly...it rocked. We felt totally comfortable there and Tim and I kinda split up and mingled -- taking turns watching Avery, who was also mingling pretty well. The food was excellent -- just ask Avery who had Doritos for the first time -- roughly 600 tons of them. The house where this was held was really nice, and had a huge deck. I tested the waters with a, "women love guys with big decks" and an "I love deck jokes" -- and people laughed. The litmus test for knowing whether or not people have evolved senses of humor? They laugh at my jokes.

Saturday morning, Avery and I headed to Dulles airport to see our friend, Meredith, during her two-hour layover there. We got there at 6:00am (yawn) and had a great visit. I miss her. We see each other so rarely even though we live only three hours away. Then I headed to Amy's house for our monthly dilettante club activity. We've been doing this for 2 1/2 years now, and I still get excited about it every month. As per usual, we were laughing the entire time we "crafted" (ACK!) -- http://dilettanteclub.blogspot.com. Then, the dilettante spouses (and kiddo) joined us for a cookout and judging of the crafts. It would be interesting to see if I could ever make it through more than half an hour with this group without laughing so hard that I'm crying. I honestly don't think it's possible.

This morning, we had some friends and their two kids over. They just moved back into the area after being away for a few years. The kids hit it off -- got along swimmingly, especially when we were in the pool. (har har). I was telling our guest about the dilettante club yesterday and she said, "which one is the really funny one?" (referring, of course, to Amanda), but to which Tim immediately replied, "Kathleen." I love that guy -- chipped tooth and all.

Right now? Kid just went down for a nap, Canetto is doing some work, the house is spotless, the laundry is done, and I'm blogging and watching Gary Gulman and Brian Regan doing stand up on Comedy Central. Life is beautiful.

No comments: