Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Real "I D Ten T" Error

One of my favorite quotes in the world is from Dolly Parton: "Dumb blonde jokes don't offend me, because I know I'm not dumb...and I'm also not blonde."

Sadly, only part of that quote rings true with me. To wit:

(IMPORTANT FACT TO KNOW BEFORE READING STORY: All CSS e-mails follow the convention of initial(s), last name @ consolidatedsafety.com)

I was sending my first corporate newsletter out yesterday -- asked the IT Department if the "CSS All" distribution list reached everyone in the entire company (we have a million people in the field all over the country). They said, "yes". So, I sent the newsletter out to that distribution list, and within a few seconds, got a delivery failure notice from one e-mail address.

Just as I was receiving that, Damon (IT guy/friend) said to me, "I forgot that you don't have permission to mail to that list. I need to change permissions so you can do that." And I said to him, "I'm pretty sure I do, Damon, becuase my e-mail went through...as a matter of fact, I already got one delivery failure notice."

So, he says to me, whose e-mail address is it? And I say (not even kidding here and with total seriousness): "C.S. Sall"

Worst part? As it was coming out of my mouth, I realized what I was saying. Just a few seconds too late.

No comments: