Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Truly Verklempt

I'll admit...when I saw all the excitement and the millions(!) of people on the Mall today, I wished that I had braved the cold and crowds to be there among them.

So, I did what any person in 2009 does -- lived vicariously, thanks to my friends and their facebook updates (and boy, did they update -- I saw photos, got a play-by-play as to whether a purple ticket really would ensure admission to the swearing in, and even got a first hand account about the port-a-potty situation...it was some pretty great stuff).

It is hard not to get excited about the optimism and inclusiveness that surrounds our new President, no matter what your political leanings.

What a fine day to be an American.

5 comments:

JenBC said...

Hear hear! Even the writers of West Wing couldn't have dreamed up headier stuff.

Anonymous said...

Equipped as I am with boy parts, I adapted with some long-range urination. I'll cop to it. Looking too closely into the pile will doubtless haunt my dreams—and remember, I have been exterminating mice lately. The thought of potential splash-back was far too great a risk, and so I skirted the social contract in ooky and very personal ways.

Of course, at times like this, I think of myself, as Peter Gay said of Freud, entering "...the sewers of humanity, not to wallow in them, but to clean them out." So I am but a humble truth-teller.

Dilettard07 said...

Well KevStar, you might want to consider skipping "Slumdog Millionaire."

Brutalism said...

I got lost right after JenBC's comment...

Anonymous said...

Just ask Dilettard07 about sandhogs and heavy rollers and that will put you in the ballpark.